Tuesday, 9 April 2013

On being young...

Paris Brown has thrown in the towel:
The UK's first youth police and crime commissioner, Paris Brown, has resigned from her post following criticism of messages she posted on Twitter.
The 17-year-old said she was quitting in the interests of everyone concerned, in particular the young people of Kent.
Police are investigating her over tweets she posted between the ages of 14 and 16 which could be considered racist and anti-gay
Now I have no intention of defending the youth police and crime commissioner role and the salary that went with it but what the girl has been put through over the last couple of days I find rather troubling - the press dragging out stuff that she posted online a number of years ago, the spiteful comments about her left by Mail readers, having cameras shoved in her face whilst tearfully apologising, and now the police investigation.

I don't think it's unreasonable to put the Tweets that have been quoted down to youthful folly and crude banter. We are after all talking about the ramblings of a school child and quite honestly, looking back at myself in my teenage years, I've said and done regretful things, made colossal errors of judgement, and pissed off a lot of people. 

At least from all of my fuck ups, I've been able to learn something from them though. Unfortunately, the only lesson that Ms. Brown will learn here is that if you put your head above the parapet, then you'll be pulled apart in public, slagged off, humiliated, and grassed up to the coppers for your troubles. So I doubt that she will bother in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment