Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Thoughts on recent high street failures

We're half way through January and three major high street chains, Jessops, HMV, and Blockbuster, have gone into administration. I'm sad that a lot of people will probably lose their jobs but apart from this, I'm really not bothered about their demise and here's why:

I'm busy with two demanding young children, a demanding wife, and my company with all the hassle that involves. Time is precious and money is tight so I want to make the most of both. It therefore follows that the last thing that I want to do in my spare time is to spend money driving to the shops, spend even more on parking, and then traipse around looking for something that may or may not be in stock. My alternative is to go online, find exactly what I want for the best price, and have it delivered to my door in a day or two; the process taking all of ten minutes. Now I hate shopping so this makes me happy, but not only that, I have more time to do what I want to do and I've probably saved money as well.

That's not the end of it though; I can download most music, video, or software that I want. Sainsburys, Tesco, Asda, Waitrose, and Ocado all deliver to my house. Quite simply, I have no reason to venture out to the shops to buy stuff when someone will bring it to me cheaper - the internet retailer of my choice will give me what I want, when I want it, at the best price I can find. That the high street chains can't compete with that is tough - they've failed me as a customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment